A BRIEF HISTORY OF BLUEPRINT
In November 1989 Tallahassee and Leon County voters approved a local option one cent sales tax to provide funding for transportation projects and law enforcement facility improvements. Funds from the sales tax have allowed the community to build a new Leon County detention facility, expand and renovate Tallahassee Police Department headquarters, and complete badly needed roadway projects, ranging from traffic signal improvements to new or expanded roadways (such as Capital Circle Northeast) to improved bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
At the joint County/City Commission meeting of September 6, 2000, Commissioners agreed to put the question of the extension of the existing penny sales tax on the November 7, 2000 General Election ballot for the voters of Leon County to decide. This action culminated approximately two years of thorough consideration of the pros and cons of keeping the penny in place, which included funding a study conducted by Florida TaxWatch (View PDF File of Study – 632kb PDF), rather than having it expire in 2004. On November 7, 2000, voters approved the sales tax extension, to commence on December 1, 2004, and extend until December 31, 2019.
During the fall of 2000, voters were asked to extend the one cent sales tax, to the year 2019, with the emphasis on a series of critically needed community initiatives focusing on stormwater and flood control projects, greenspace acquisition and parks/recreation improvements, and additional transportation projects. Eighty percent of the projected sales tax revenues were committed to projects proposed by the Economic and Environmental Consensus Committee (EECC), a diverse group of citizens who represented business and environmental interests in the community and who were the authors of the Blueprint 2000 and Beyond report; the balance of the revenues were committed to fund projects identified as City and County priorities.
On election day 2000 (November 7), nearly 60 percent of voters approved extending the one cent sales tax. This web site will be updated to provide Tallahassee and Leon County citizens with news and information on the Blueprint 2000 program, the various projects to be funded by the sales tax extension, and the involvement of your City and County governments. Please feel free to e-mail us with your questions or comments.
A major emphasis and driving force of the sales tax extension was Blueprint 2000 & Beyond. Blueprint 2000 was developed by a group of citizens representing a broad spectrum of the community including business, environmental and neighborhood interests, called the Economic and Environmental Consensus Committee (EECC). Their guide to an effective and efficient infrastructure and natural resource management is the basis of the proposed sales tax extension with 80% of future sales tax proceeds being committed to Blueprint 2000 projects. The remaining 20% would be split 10% each to the County and the City for other high priority sales tax eligible projects.
Blueprint 2000 FUNDING HISTORY
Pursuant to Section 163.01(7), Florida Statutes, Leon County, Florida, and the City of Tallahassee, Florida, created Blueprint 2000 Intergovernmental Agency to govern the project management structure for the project planning and the construction of the Blueprint 2000 projects. The Board of County Commissioners and the City Commission constitute the Board of Directors for the Blueprint 2000 Intergovernmental Agency. Staffing for this Agency is approved by the County Administrator and the City Manager. Various committees provide professional advice and serve in advisory capacities.
The City Commission appoints the City Manager, the City Treasurer-Clerk, the City Auditor, and the City Attorney. Collectively the appointed officials are responsible for all administrative aspects of the government, with most falling under the purview of the City Manager.
The Agency uses the City’s Financial System to purchase goods and maintain financial records and follows the City’s policies and procedures regarding these transactions.
As a recipient of federal, state and local assistance for some of the Blueprint 2000 projects, the City is also responsible for ensuring that an adequate internal control structure is in place to ensure and document compliance with applicable laws and regulations related to these programs. This internal control structure is subject to periodic evaluation by management and the audit staff of the City.
A report called Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) is compiled for Blueprint 2000 on an annual basis. The reports represent the official report of the Agency’s financial operations and condition to the citizens, Commissions, rating agencies and other interested persons.